The Centre for Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators (CeSTII) is a specialist research centre within the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) that is dedicated to producing policy relevant research and statistical analysis of R&D and innovation data in the domains of science, technology and innovation.
The Research Programme seeks to appoint a Research Director on a 5 year contract. They are looking for an accomplished candidate with experience of policy-relevant research to lead the work programme on science, technology and innovation indicators and measurement. The level of the appointment will depend on the mix of qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
- Developing the work programme of CeSTII in supporting national policies for science, technology and innovation;
- Conducting good quality research, analysis and evaluation (using qualitative and/or quantitative methodologies) that has both strategic and policy relevance;
- Networking with major users and funders of social science research to understand their research needs;
- Designing programmes for problem-oriented interdisciplinary research;
- Managing research teams and large scale long term research projects;
- Delivering high-quality results and reports to budget and deadline;
- Communicating research findings and publishing in refereed journals;
- Building national and international research links;
- Mentoring junior researchers.
- A doctorate in the social sciences or related disciplines;
- At least 10 years of experience as a senior academic at either full Professor or Associate Professor level (and possibly as a head of department);
- A strong record of published research with up to 25 peer-reviewed articles in both local and international journals – some of which should be first authored;
- An interest in one of the priority research areas of CeSTII;
- A sound grounding in research methods, especially quantitative approaches, will be a strong recommendation;
- Intellectual and personal integrity, imagination and drive;
- A strong user orientation, based on a commitment to social research that makes a difference
- The ability and enthusiasm to lead research teams involved in large-scale multidisciplinary research, to manage research teams, and to mentor and train their members;
- The versatility to apply quantitative and qualitative methodologies to challenging subject matter across disciplinary boundaries.
In your application, please include (1) a letter of motivation; (2) a comprehensive CV; (3) three copies of sole/first authored peer reviewed publications; and (4) the names of three contactable referees (with mobile/telephone, e-mail and fax contact details). Please indicate the specific position you are applying for and include the reference number. The HSRC will only consider applications that comply with the above requirements. Applicants may be required to undertake a written exercise in the competencies required for the position.
Please submit your application on-line at http://hsrc.jb.skillsmapafrica.com/ or to the HR Department, HSRC, Merchant House, 116 – 118 Buitengracht Street, Cape Town. If you experience problems applying online, please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference number CeSTII RD 10/2017 in the subject line. Applications that do not adhere to this, will not be considered. Enquiries (not applications or CVs) may be directed to Dr Glenda Kruss at email@example.com.
Closing date: 27 October 2017. Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications before that date.
For more information please visit HSRC website: http://www.hsrc.ac.za/en/jobs/centre-for-science-technology-and-innovation-indicators/research-director-oct-2017